Below are the ten basics of forklift safety that should be followed when operating a forklift machine.
1. The forklift must be operated by a qualified person. One of the most important aspects in the Basics of forklift safety procedures is making sure that the machine is operated by individuals who have undergone proper training and have the relevant experience, skills, and license to operate forklifts. All about forklift training at https://www.forkliftcenter.net/forklift-train-the-trainer/.
2. All equipment should be examined before use. A routine check-up should be carried out to make sure that all systems are operating well before use. One should make sure that the breaks are working, the steering and control mechanisms are responding as required, the warning devices should be checked and tested, and also the tires should be examined and changed if the threads are worn out.
3. Correct procedures in starting up the forklift. The steps of starting up a forklift should always be followed to the letter. Therefore one should make sure that they are seated in a comfortable posture, this posture should make sure that all the controls are within reach. The operator should also be able to see everything in front of the forklift and also be able to use the rear mirrors. In case of ones position is not as required, the seat can be adjusted, or the mirrors moved to meet the needs of the operator. Once comfortable the operator should fasten their seat-belts and make sure that they are seated within the confines of the cabin.
4. Always work when the visibility is clear.always make sure that you operate the forklift without obstacles in-front of you. in case of a heavy load that can act as an obstacle it is advised to move in a reverse except when moving up ramps. always make sure that you can clearly see the racks when picking or placing loads. in case the visibility is not good enough you can get the help of a look out to help you.
5. Use the forklift for the purpose its meant for.forklifts are made to carry loads only. It is therefore dangerous when other workmates ride on them. In case a person is to be lifted make sure that they are secured to the platform as instructed by the manual.
6. Safety on ramps. When moving a load up a ramp always make sure that the fork; lift is moving in a forward direction. On the other hand when moving a load down a ramp, make sure that the forklift is moving in a reverse direction. Never make turns on a ramp.
7. Limit your speed.never move too fast especially when carrying heavy loads and when negotiating through corners and turns. this will help to minimize tipping.
8. Do not overload.
Know the capacity of your lift and never exceed it. Overloads may lift the rear tyres off the ground. Always make sure that the weight of the load is evenly distributed on the forks. Do not push the lead or try lifting it by the tips of the forks.
9. Avoid hazards when operating a forklift, always use even ground. Keep a safe distance from people and other forklifts. Use horns around corners. Do not allow anybody to stand below the load on the forklift.
10. After using the forklift at the end of the shift, park the forklift in the designated area, fully lower the lifts and turn the engines off.